Whoo-hoo this is my fanfic entry for 's Scamp & Tea - Kyouko x Mami Contest! And it's under 10k words! Take that, everyone who thought I was physically incapable of the short story form! Image credit: [link] This artist right here. I would have used one of my own, but I wanted to help people visualize Frilly Megucal Princess Kyouko at the beginning.
I would just like to take this moment to assure any KyouSaya fans out there that I have nothing but love for your ship. I ship KyouSaya! Whenever I'm not busy shipping KyouMami, KyouHomu, KyouMado, and KyouKyou (Rosso Fantasma ship 4 lyfe), of course. I approve of any and all Kyouko pairings because Kyouko is love and there is enough of her for everyone.
Getting into the head of someone like Mami is difficult for me. I was in International Baccalaureate growing up and I stayed with the same group of people from sixth grade until graduation, so I had a large group of people I grew very close to, even as I had a lesser number of really, really close friends. Loneliness, true loneliness like the kind that makes you feel empty and hollow like a phantom in a room of crowded people, is altogether foreign to me-- or, more accurately, it has been a long time since I felt it so acutely. In my interpersonal relationships, I am the Kyouko who, at the first sign of difficulty, cuts her ties and wanders off. This story idea was born from that idea-- what is it like to have the very obvious weakness of loneliness, next to someone who could make you feel lonely again anytime she wanted? I am not strong enough to be that vulnerable. That's why I run away in the first place.
I confess, Madoka is not and never will be my favourite magical girl series. That seat is forever claimed by Sailor Moon, and after it Nanoha. But I still love these silly megucas, and while I fully embrace the ethos of putting characters through one heartbreak after another to see what's left, I don't put characters through trials they can't handle. And heartbreak without catharsis is pointless. Destruction is easy; it's the rebuilding that's hard, and way more fun.
Hm, what next? Ah, the references to other magical girl series. Kyouko borrowed from all manner of magical girl series to complete her half of her promise to Mami's satisfaction.
- Pre-battle declaration to ally/allies: Kamikaze Kaitou Jeanne - “To defeat the evil born of night, the heaven-sent Sakura Kyouko must take flight!” - Henshin: Shugo Chara - “My heart, unlock!” She was also going to try Ichigo's catchphrase from Tokyo Mew Mew, but decided against it (though she ended up getting her Strawberry Bell weapon anyway). The henshin phrase Mami originally wanted her to use was, fittingly enough, Yuu's henshin phrase from Magical Angel Creamy Mami. - Grand entrance (with catchphrase): Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon - “Preying on the slothfulness of innocent people! Disrupting the peace and inducing self-destructive behaviour! Unforgivable! A magical girl of Love and Justice: Puella Magi Sakura Kyouko! In the name of the moon, I will punish you!” - Calling attacks: Rosso Fantasma counts, but I mean ones borrowed from other series, like Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon - “Starlight Honeymoon Therapy Kiss!” and “Rainbow Moon Heart Ache!” She also uses Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha - “Sturmfalken!”, which is Signum's powerful bow attack from episode 12 of A's. - Power-up: Puella Magi Madoka Magica - “Rosso Fantasma!” - Moment of tension: Magic Knight Rayearth - “RAYEAAAAARTH!” and Mai-Hime - “KAGUTSUCHIIIIIII!” - POWER OF LOVE: Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon - “Sakura Love-Me Chain!” Incidentally, I connect Kyouko more to Mars than to Venus, but it's Venus who uses the chain attack. - Sealing/banishing/converting of evil: Card Captor Sakura - “Return to the guise that you were meant to be in! Clo-- Grief Seed!” - Post-battle catchphrase: Powerpuff Girls - “And so, the day is saved, thanks to--” - Reconciliation with victim: Not available. Instead Mami burst out laughing now that she had enough home video material to last her a decade.
The opening line is a parody of the first line of Jane Austen's best-known work, Pride and Prejudice. The last scene's imagery borrows heavily from a scene from its spiritual successor, Rurouni Kenshin. And the line “I am completely un-ladylike when I cry” is a nod to “Stay, Don't Go”, my favourite KyouMami fanfic of all time, and can be found here: [link]
One more thing: My particular variety of obsessive-compulsive disorder makes me notice patterns and symmetry, usually showing up as a fixation with multiples of two and nine. You may have noted the usage of two days twice, and two years twice. The story was initially planned as quarters, and while my novelist tendencies started to kick in about halfway through, it's still roughly divided into four segments.
And last but not least, Yuma now has two mommies. Someday she will watch a certain DVD lying around the house and will from that point on attack her enemies while screaming “RAYEAAAAARTH!” causing Kyouko-momma to flush dark red and Mami-momma to burst out laughing. Incidentally, it was Magic Knight Rayearth II that Mami was reading at the end there, but if you want to believe that she was reading the Madoka Magica manga, feel free, it's open-ended enough for that interpretation.
Okay so this is my submission for that KyouMami art trade thing for . And I would have finished it faster if she would stop reblogging delicious yuri for me to stare at, damnit. (and no I cannot write short fiction, this is basically the shortest complete fic I have ever written and it's still over 3k words lol)
Fox!Kyouko and tanuki!Mami is basically the greatest thing ever, I don't know where those animal associations came from but I love them. They are just so adorable oh my god.
Right, some notes.
- I write using musical dissonance, meaning that when writing a sad scene I listen to upbeat or catchy music and when I write a happy scene I listen to sad music. Since this was more of a neutral, calm, story, obviously I had to listen to Love is War: [link]
- Kasamino's carnival/amusement park is based on the only amusement park I've ever been to, Lakeside Amusement Park in Denver, CO. It's over a century old and very old-school as a result. The last time I went there on a date, I got motion sickness with ridiculous ease. It's still a really awesome park. And yes, that slow train ride exists, a train that goes on a loop around the lake.
- Yes, chewing on gum is a really good way to get rid of motion sickness.
- There are a few allusions to Apple and Cinnamon. Mami still likes making Kyouko cosplay as other magical girls. In this case, she'd like her to cosplay as the Love Angel, Wedding Peach.
- As mentioned, I simply adore fox!Kyouko and tanuki!Mami. Here, have some more. [link]
My internet's been rebelling against me for the past few days, so I basically have to submit this and run. Hope you like it!
A short story about the Painted World of Ariamis, and it's fascinating inhabitant, Crossbreed Priscilla.
I say "fascinating" because unlike other bosses in Dark Souls, Priscilla lets you walk away without a scratch, only if you return the favor. Therefore, I made a little connection to the character and Priscilla.
*NOTE: This is in no way real Lore. Only a theory that was expanded into a writing.*