Threshold of Hadrian Navy
Sufa-Class Heavy Cruiser
Classification: Heavy Cruiser
Length: 1,550m (5085 ft)
Height: 253m (830 ft)
Width: 194m (636 ft)
Crew: 1250 Enlisted, 190 Officers
Deployment: 480 Marines and Equipment, 90 Commandos
- 6x Belvoir Arms RRH-31 31inch Capital-Grade Mass Drivers (3 in each turret)
- 36x Belvoir Arms Daulin RRL-49 2inch Rapid fire Mass Drivers (2 in each turret - deployable)
- 3x Belvoir Arms RRH-64 64inch Capital-Grade Mass Drivers (Axial Mount)
- 2x Belvoir Arms RRH-50 50inch Captial-Grade Mass Drivers (Axial Mount)
- 56x Belvoir Arms GMH-5C “Cobra" Single-Missile Racks (22 per broadside, 12 forward mounted)
-Crest & Sword Inc. "Claymore" EAC-79D Electronic Warfare Assault Suite
- 2.2m Thick Titanium-G High Density Alloy
- Counter-Grav Barriers (1,100 PW/S Dispersion Rating)
- 55x Belvoir Arms RPL-35 3.5cm Particle Beam Repeaters (Deployable)
-688 SMC-9 "Crusader" Counter-Missiles
-400 Plasma-chaff Decoys
- Crest & Sword Inc. "Stonewall" Electronic EDC-83B Warfare, Deterrence, and Masking Suite
- 24x Dropships
- 90x Orbital Drop Pods
- Marine Support Equipment (Mission Variable)
Propulsion and Power
- 1x Whitten C7H Zero Point Energy Core -11,000 PW output
- 2x Whitten NMC-8 (rated for maximum velocity of 0.9c and acceleration of 1400g)
- 1x Whitten FTL-9 Katsumi-Fujita Gravitic Drive Unit (Independent and Termini Interface Modes)
While lacking some of the initial punch of some of the Alliance cruisers, even the older Trafalgar models, the Sufa-class makes up for it's lack of dual-missile bays by making up for them in extreme advances in auto-loading technology. A mixture of simple logic, method, storage, and mechanical advances known as - and classified as only - "Swiftloading," mean that for ever volley an Alliance Autoloader-equipped launcher can throw out, the Swiftloader-equipped launchers can launch roughly 1.8 volleys.
Additional upgrades include the Threshold's slightly more improved MAG Drives, and larger at least, if not better cannons. While not capable of dropping more soldiers into combat for orbit as comparable Alliance Vessels, the Sufa is, with modular storage, able to house both Orbital Drop Commandos and Marines simultaneously, and does have larger bays for Dropships, which also account for much of the equipment storage for the soldiers.
The Sufa-class is the smallest vessel to completely and totally incorporate it's layered-wall structure, with packets of gel-fire-retardant built into the walls to minimize damage from enemy fire. This lends to the Hadrian "Pre-Compartmentalization" methods of Damage control, going beyond the typical Compartmentalization which saved so many space- and sea-faring vessels before its existence, ensuring the smallest amount of space is affected, and preventing all but the most inevitable secondary explosions.
The piece of armor possibly the most hidden-in-plain-sight are the additional eleven "wings." While providing, and intending, enough lift for a controlled and salvageable crash-landing onto an average-gravity planet, without any assistance, the [i]Sufa[/i]-class Heavy Cruiser is not capable of in-atmospheric flight, though structurally able of a controlled, methodical non-combat entrance into the atmosphere. These "wings" actually provide additional armor for various locations of the ship, to include the flight bridge, machinery-room equipment, berthing areas, weapons areas, and the CIC which is located almost directly mid-ship. In addition, the lower front-wing, which wraps all the way around to the other side, is also designed to help cushion the fall of the ship several additional G's by both extending it's physical precense as well as counter-mass barrier, very much in the same method as a vehicle's bumper.
All of these methods were employed to make the ship more survivable - in hindsight somewhat useless, a bit of error of having "engineers design a ship rather than officers," as the crew of many of the Sufa-class vessels would put it, but in good heart nonetheless - with such a small fleet, the Threshold of Hadrian Navy would prefer to have any ship rendered out-of-commission as salvageable as possible, even so far as to place hope as it return it to service.
Designed to serve as the smallest Ship of the Line as well as the largest Ship of the Lance for the small Threshold of Hadrian Navy, the Sufa-class combines both a heavy bow-armament and broadside, giving it a wide versatility in all scenarios rather than one set goal.
This is a piece of artwork for the "Chronicles of Man" universe of madeinjapan1988. As such, some concepts and styles will be taken from that verse, and may bare similarities to his work.