my submition for the unknown moons contest,not something i usually make in space art but i had this concept in my head since the first time i saw the contest name,and well basicly its showing a view screen in a mobile observatory/ship from an alien race exploring the universe. done with photoshop and world machine/floor texture,wall texture and with a stock image off a chip from sxc. cheers
[anouncement: the next version will be even better, I tinkered around with masked medianfiltering for star removal and have an even better processing now than "starkiller v.2", also the next version will feature deconvolution wich makes it quite noticably sharper and the ramaining stars smaller - only bummer: the weather is going to be bad I don't know If can get some more shots today]
[edit: now featuring "starkiller" proccessing v.2 -> stars better supressed, nebula not touched by that at all]
The project is still in medium stage although we are getting pretty much to the end. I want even more Exposure data . And of course the 3rd channel is still completly missing. Finishing the project will still take some time.
History: 4. pretty neat, "starkiller" processing v.1 [link] 3. well, we are getting there [link] 2. just one good image added to the crap [link] 1. first steps [link]
My excitement about this image doesn't stop, the more exposures I make, the more details can be seen. I'm in love ^^ . This image features about twice the exposure data of the last one. Last night I took 3 O-III images, it was a bit foggy though, so they could have been of better S/N ration. The day before yesterday it was unusually clear, I got 3 h-alpha shots from that day plus 2 from the day before that.
The flatframe didn't work optimally, I don't know, maybe wrong settings, but it worked good enough. I had to manually remove a gradient on the right though. I did a bit more of manual processing this time, I found out that specific structures benefit a lot from "surgical strikes" with burn and dodge. Also I noticed that you can remove or at llest weaken stars very strongly using Photoshop's dust dan scratch removal, giving the impression of an image that has been made with much better narrowband filters. However, filtering creates artifacts so the image ist best viewed a bit smaller still. [edit: that was "starkiller" processing v.1, v.2 uses a clipping mask to replace the stars with a median filtered version of the image]
Exposures were as follows:
8x 40 min. H-alpa 6x 40 min. O-III = 9,3 hours total
60 of each: bias, flat, dark flat 10 darkframes Chip temperature 1° C
Canon EOS 350D, astromod, coolmod, ISO 800 Coma corrector Astronomik 12 nm Ha filter Baader 8,5 nm O-III filter GSO 8 " f/4 newtonian
The Rosetta Nebula is a cloud of dust an gas like there are many out there in our galaxy. Within those dust lanes there are protostars forming, once they ignite their nuclear fusion they blow away their "cocoon" and shine like those brigt stars in the middle of the nebula. Their stellar wind is blowing a hole into the whole nebula as you can see. Nebulae like this glow, because the UV radiation from the stars within is ionizing the gas. Once the excited electrons relieve their surplus energy, this energy leaves in form of visible light. In this image the red light of hydrogen is used as red channel and the blue greenish light of oxygen is used for the blue and green channel. However, colour"corrections" have been made after that, so it looks better. H-alpha was also used as luminance channel, wich is not necessary, but looks better.