The Gliwice Radio Tower is the transmission tower of the Gliwice, Upper Silesia, Poland, radio station.
It is an 118-metre high (including the 8 metre long spire on its top) construction of impregnated larch wood framework. The tower was nicknamed "the Silesian Eiffel Tower" by the local population, although the similarities are minor.
For access to its top, there is a ladder with 365 steps.
Gliwice Radio Tower is perhaps the tallest wooden structure in the world. It is designed to carry aerials for medium wave broadcasting, but the transmitter is not in service any more.
On 31 August 1939, the Germans staged a "Polish" attack on Gleiwitz radio station, which was later used as justification for the Invasion of Poland. The transmission facility was not demolished in World War II. From 4 October 1945, until the inauguration of the new transmitter in Ruda Śląska in 1955, the Gliwice transmitter was used for medium wave broadcasting of the Polish Broadcasting Company. After 1955, the transmitter was used as a jammer against medium wave transmitters broadcasting Western Polish-language programmes, e.g. Radio Free Europe.
After the 2nd insectoid attack on Earth in 2354 the Sol Centauri alliance realised it needed a better early detection system. Alliance fleet headquarters designed a sensor network of 8 space docks, 154 starbases, 384 stations and 1,450 satalites. This system would give the Alliance 2 weeks advanced notice on any incoming ships. The farthest out station, Nu Cygni, 356 Ly from Earth was the first built. Orbiting a single star, with only an asteroid feild in the system it was made to double as a research station. It took 3 years for the outer and inner hull to be complete. The E.C.A.N Ryujin-B was sent, only 32% complete with a convoy of 128 cargo and personell ships to the station. 12,000 engineers and mechanincs working round the clock completed the station in 4 years and the Ryujin in 11 months. With the first convoy home, a second was sent with 6 Whale class ships, and 47 ships carrying the remaining compliment of crew, cargo, weapons and auxillary craft. The station was fully operational in 2364.
Nu Cygni Deep space outpost 141-007G
Shield generators: Mk 8, force rating 500
Armor: 2.4 meter thick Tritanium alloy. Resistant to high heat, concussive blasts
4 Athena class Super Mass Drivers
8 Minotaur heavy Mass drivers
40 Heavy cannons (anti: Dreadnaughts, capital ships carriers)
250 Medium canons (Anti battleships, warships, destroyers)
400 light cannons (heavy and medium cruisers)
2,500 Anti-Fighter guns
600 Anti-cruiser cannons
150 Anti-frigate cannons
8,000 Energy flak emplacements
400 Missile turrets (750 missiles each)
200 Torpedo tubes (300 each)
Cargo bays: 184 (1,200 units of cargo each)
Secondary bays: 220 (800 units each)
20Ly subspace radio
5 AU radio transceiver
Short range teleporters: 125 rooms, 14 pads each
Vacuum sealed magnetic elevators: 885 vertical lifts, 1286 horizontal lifts, 300 multidirectional lifts