I have been wanting to write a helpful deviantART journal about the impact of social media on artists (fine artists, writers, musicians, ect.) for a long time. Today I came across a simple forum post by Resennar
that really spurred me to start some research. I want to gather some statistics and information from a wide variety of artists, so I thought a survey might do the trick.
The survey is long. Feel free to complete it only partially or in it's entirety. Simply leave the sections that don't apply to you blank.
Feel free to leave any extra comments at the bottom of the survey.
Social Media Survey:
1. What is your age? (feel free to leave this blank or give a range if you are not comfortable with this question)
2. What is your gender? (feel free to leave this blank if you are not comfortable with this question)
3. List all social media platforms that you are regularly active on. What social media platform do you use more than any other?
4. How many hours per day do you devote to increasing traffic to social media sites?
5. Do you spend money on advertising or marketing your social media sites?
6. Do you use apps to help control your social media sites?
7. Have you ever purchased followers or likes on any social media sites?
8. What sort of content to you contribute to your social media sites? If it is artwork, describe your work.
9. Do you weave your social media sites together with links and tabs?
10. What is your primary reason for sharing your art through social media?
1. How many followers on deviantART do you have?
2. How many pageviews on deviantART do you have?
3. How many deviations do you have?
4. Approximately how many deviantART followers do you feel are actually active?
5. Do you devote time to bringing traffic to your deviantART page? If so, how and how much time do you spend doing this?
6. Do you use deviantART's ad campaigns?
7. What is your most liked deviation, and how many views/likes does it have?
8. Are you surprised by your most popular deviation?
9. Have you ever received a Daily Deviation?
10. When looking at the front page, what tabs are you most likely to look at (ie. popular in 8 hours, newest, ect)
1. Do you have an instagram account? If no, please leave this section blank.
2. How many followers do you have?
3. How many people are you following?
4. About how many followers seem to actually be active?
5. How many posts do you have?
6. How many likes does your most popular post have?
7. Do you try to increase traffic to your instagram site? If so, how and how much time do you spend doing this?
8. Do you try to get featured on popular profiles?
9. Do you pay for advertising?
10. Have you ever paid for followers or likes?
1. Do you have a facebook page (not just a regular profile)? If not, please leave this section blank.
2. How many likes does your page have?
3. What kind of content do you offer?
4. What seem to be your most popular posts?
5. How many people who like your page seem to be active?
6. Do you actively promote your page? If so, how and how much time do you spend doing so?
7. Do you pay for facebook ads?
8. Do you try to get featured in facebook groups?
1. Do you have a Youtube account? If not, please leave this section blank.
2. How many followers do you have on Youtube?
3. What kinds of videos do you showcase?
4. How many views/likes does your most popular video have?
5. Do you actively try to bring traffic to your youtube profile? If so, how and how much time do you spend doing so?
6. Do you pay for advertising?
7. Do you try to get featured on other profiles?
1. Do you have a twitter account? If not, please leave this section blank.
2. How many followers do you have on Twitter?
3. What kinds of content do you share on Twitter?
4. Does Twitter seem to help funnel traffic to your other social media platforms?
Random Questions Pertaining to Other Social Media Sites
1. Do you have a Tumblr?
2. How many followers do you have on Tumblr?
3. How many of those followers actively reblog and like your posts?
4. Do you sell your work or products on sites such as storenvy, etsy, and society6?
5. If you answered yes, how often do you sell a product? What products do you offer?
6. Do you auction your work on sites such as ebay?
7. If yes, do you find this to be a successful way to sell your work?
Any random comments you may be able to contribute can be left here:
Last but not least, please tag some deviantARTISTS who you feel might be willing to fill out this survey.
Thank you so much for the participation, I know it is long, but it will be really helpful!
If you wish to keep your results anonymous, feel free to note them to me.