Tune into the voice of the community by checking out deviantART's Journal Portal. Join the conversation by browsing, adding faves, and leaving comments, or submit your own Journal to let your voice be heard.
It has taken me a while to write this journal post since I have been debating whether to make this a tiered contest with rounds or not. My biggest fear is if I do, not a lot of people will enter which would make for a poor competition. So instead I have decided to make it like any other contest for the time being. If this contest does get a lot of attention and I receive a decent amount of entries (and the participants want to go a second round) I will turn it into a tiered contest with a lot more prizes up for grab!
Who doesn't love drawing their own characters, right? That is why I have made the goal of the contest to draw your OC(s) and my OC(s) interacting together. What they do is up to you! They can be exploring, having a sleep over, maybe they are fighting over something, or maybe they are going on a date! The choice is yours. Using your preferred art form I want you to tell a story with your piece with what our OCs are up to.
Here is what I will be looking for in each piece:
Are the actions of the characters realistic? (/10)
- For Example, Maple Blush hates horror. If you drew her happily exploring a haunting house or taking on monsters boldly I would deduct points from your entry. Her actions wouldn’t match her character. HOWEVER, if you draw Maple freaked out and cowering in these situations while your OC helps her/ protects her then you have a done a fantastic job! All the points for you! I love when characters weakness are shown, not just their strengths alone ;3
- Yes, I will be researching you characters as well! If you draw your character as a happy sunshine ball just to please one of my characters, and I read that they are really pessimistic rain clouds, you will have points deducted!
Is the activity/ situation/ story interesting and creative? (/10)
- Entries that show interesting content/ situations will score more. Simple as that.
Is your picture telling the beginning of a story? (Is your story leading somewhere?) (/10)
- Your entries should be telling a small story about what our characters are doing, or what they getting themselves into. If they are on an adventure, where are they? Are they looking for something? Is there an obstacle in their way? If your OC is going to ask my OC on a date, are they nervous? Are the over confident? Are they so shy they just end up stalking my OC? Why do they want to date my OC in the first place?
- I must be able to see your picture is leading somewhere. Good or bad, it is up to you!
- This is especially important if this contest turns into a tiered competition with 2 more round! In the second round you will be continuing the story you started in this first picture so you will want to make this entry fun for your own sake :3
How original is your entry? (/5)
- This is a small amount of points to encourage you all to try and make entries different from one another. This doesn't mean only one person, for example, can draw our OCs shopping. If those two entries were telling different stories I would consider them both unique and score them 5/5. However if those two entries just showed all the OCs trying on clothes then I would have to score them both 3/5.
Fan vote (/5)
- Yes, I will set up a poll so people can vote for which entry the find the most interesting. The more votes you get on the picture the higher your score here will be.
- It’s only 5 points out of 50 so it is not a lot!
- The poll will be set up after the deadline and be open for a couple days for people to vote.
Do I enjoy your work? (/10)
- This is pretty straight forward. I will give you a small list of genres/ themes I enjoy:
(Adventure, Slice of Life, Romance, NSFW, Horror, Comedy, Suspense, Fantasy, Sci-fi… and any combination of the above really. Did I just list all existing genres? I’m easy to please ;3)
- Since NSFW topics are allowed this score also includes ‘does your picture/ story offended me?’ This is simple to avoid. It’s okay to do adult themes as long as you keep them classy and mature. This means:
- NO children when it comes to NSWF. I do not have any child characters but some of you do. I will not tolerate any work involving children in adult situations. I will kick you out of this contest so fast your head will spin!
- NO canon characters in NSFW pieces. I’m all for us being NSFW with our characters but I will not have canon characters that children love be shown in NSFW situations. This is mainly directed at the MLP fans.
- If you are going to do smut or gore I will be critical of your piece. I’m all for these topics but when they are done lazy/ poorly they make me want to scratch my eyes out.
The judges so far are myself, my husband, my closest friends, and hopefully a few of you deviants! I’m looking for 1-2 people who have experience critiquing both art and writing. Especially writing! I’m a horrid writer (as you can see from this journal) and would like the opinion of some people who know what to look for in what makes a good story :3 Note me if you are interested and tell me why you think you would make a good judge! You also must be old enough. If you are judging nsfw you need to be an adult to do that (18+). Sorry to you younger bunch!
- No bases or traced work. I will be checking out your galleries and I’m no dummy. If I catch you cheating in any way you are banned from this contest.
- Digital art, traditional art, and written entries will be accepted.
- Do not copy other people’s entries. You want to stand out from the rest!
- All themes are open. That means NSFW is a go! If you do make overly violent/ sexual images please make sure you mark your deviation as such! I’m mature enough to enjoy darker/ adult themes but not everyone on DA can. Respect that :3
- You can make changes to your entry up until the deadline.
- You can submit up to TWO entries but only one can win.
- The cash prize will be given via Paypal.
- The first place winner can request that the $50 be turned into points.
- You can ask me anything you want about my characters personalities. If helps you make a better picture/ story I am more than happy to answer your questions. I will NOT be telling you what I want our characters to be doing though. That would just be lazy on your part~
- Though I prefer that you keep the characters in their own universes cross-over art and stories are allowed. If you place my character in a suiting role for them in a cross-over then all the creative points for you!
- I would prefer you leave my OCs as they are but if you want to turn them anthro/ human then go for it! You could end up impressing me~
- There is no limit on OCs you can include. I know a lot of you have 10+ OCs so use as many as you want. Just remember that at least one of my OCs needs to stand out too. Drawing your OCs then having mine in the background will not count as an entry.
- DO NOT use OCs (besides mine) that do not belong to you! If you do, I will need to receive a note from the creator of the OC saying that is okay that you have drawn them in your entry.
- Canon characters are allowed, but remember, this is about OUR OCs. Having a canon character outshine our babies will result in deducted points.
- You can submit art with writing to help enhance the story.
- You can submit your entry in Stash or as a deviation. I know some people like keeping their entry a secret from others contestants and that is cool. Either way I will be keeping a list of all the people who have entered the contest.
- I will favourite all entries (that I can) but I will not comment on them until judging is over.
- Have fun and be creative!
- They must be complete pictures if you want to score. Entries with no backgrounds will score less since it is hard to tell a story without one. You can submit line work pieces as long as they look clean :3
- Pictures that look like they were just thrown together with no thought will be eliminated. No sloppy slop~
- Traditional artists, your entry must be scanned or photographed nicely! If it’s hard to see your picture it will not be judged :< Sorry.
- I may not be the best writer in the world but I will be judging you on grammar and spelling. I don’t care if you misspell a few words but if I cannot understand what you are writing then you will be judged poorly.
- Your entry must be a decent length. Submitting a paragraph describing our OCs having coffee will score you nothing! I’m looking a chapter that introduces the characters, what they are doing, and where the plot is heading to. I love reading so don’t be shy to go crazy and send me a mess of pages :3
- The story can be from any perspective! Your character's, my character's, or 3rd person. It is all good!
Entries will be accepted until midnight on December 15th. That is a month and a half away~ I hope that is enough time for you all. If not I can extended the deadline if necessary :3
I love all these characters equally so I don't care which ones you pick :3 I like to think there is character here that all artists feel comfortable drawing/ writing about. If you want more details about them don't be shy to send me a note! This journal is big enough already... I don't need to double its size by explaining each character XD
If I get a decent amount of entries (50 or more) I will turn this into a tiered contest with 2 more rounds~ That means better and more prizes! If this does become the case then only a handful of people will progress to round 2. In round 2 you will be asked to continue from the picture or story you did in round 1. I won’t get ahead of myself though until I see people are interested.
I hope you all enjoy this contest and have fun with it! You do not have to promote or favourite this journal, though if you do it is much appreciated.
To submit your entry you can comment here with it or note me. I will be keeping a list on this journal of people who’s entries have been approved :3
Thanks everyone! I look forward to see what you do with our characters!
I have the right to cancel the contest at any moment. Life happens sometimes and emergency do arise. - I have the right to extend the deadline. - I have the right to kick out participants if I feel they are not meeting the rules.