The panel introduction is by moderator, Rich Magallanes, who states he is blown away by the entire Avatar universe and its development.
The creators come out - followed by Joaquim dos Santos and the brilliant voice director Andrea Romano. The cast enters: Janet Varney, David Faustino, Seychelle Gabriel and P.J. Byrne. Seychelle rocks a cute steampunk cosplay.
According to Hypable there are still 4, 000 people waiting outside Ballroom 20. In 2004 Korra/A:TLA was in a room with 50 people.
If you didn't already know, there will be 4 books (seasons) with 52 episodes divided as so:
Book 1: Air - 12 episodes
Book 2: Spirits - 14 episodes
Book 3 - 13 episodes
Book 4 - 13 episodes
- At 2:24 pm, Janet Varney (Korra) is asked about voicing Korra and how she matches up to Aang. She replies: "They’re so different from one another, it’s so fun to play someone headstrong."
- David Faustino thanks animation for allowing him to play a big heroic character (joke is: he's short - 5'3" to be exact)
- At 2:25 pm, P.J. Byrne is asked to choose any character to be from season one. He wants to be himself and Janet says she wants to be the announcer.
- Seychelle states that Asami and her are most alike because they both overpack.
- At 2:30 pm: Andrea Romano directs table readings from book 1.
- The second scene the cast read through is, “The Voice in the Night” and “The Spirit of Competition.” David messes up a little and P.J. is hysterical with his lines. Everyone at the panel laughs.
- At: 2:41 pm - David fakes kisses Janet on stage to mimic a scene!
- Bryan is sorry they, "blew up the boat".
- Book 2 is called Spirits and takes place 6 months after Book 1: Air
- The opening scene: Southern Water Tribe festival. There is a banquet hall made of ice. Korra and co. will travel into the tundra of the Southern Water Tribe. Looks a bit dark and scary with a chilling snowscape and a bright green sky.
- Fashion of characters compensate for winter. Asami has an Amelia Earhart look. The others have longer sleeves and winter coats. Fashion is innspired by Mandarin, asymmetrical fashion. Mako and Bolin will get big, fluffy coats for the frozen tundra.
Korra goes through a storm and reaches a glowing iceberg that resembles Aang's frozen prison.
- Southern Air Temple Concept Painting: team avatar will journey to the Southern Air Temple.
- Team Avatar will also journey to the Spirit World.
- Book 2 will feature episodes that look back into the history of Avatar and Spirit World.
- We will see more of Korra's parents and meet her uncle Oodalak or Unarock.
- Oodalak/Unarock?: head of the Northern Water Tribe and very spiritual. He mentors Korra.
- Verick: described to be a Howard Hughes playboy, kind of character. He is a Southern Water Tribe member. He and Bolin have a funny relationship. He is said to be a very entertaining character and a 'shipping magnet'.
- Asami takes over Sato's company.
- Book 2 will feature Aang's children: Commander Bumi and Kya. Bumi wears pink earmuffs.
- Random fact: Korra was inspired by Gina Carano.
- There will be a very cool spirit creature who has glowing eyes, walks on two legs, a tail, and a branch like appendages.
- Animatics clip: Fire Ferrets being beaten. Mako and Korra motorcycle chase scene vs. robbers. Asami determined to bring her father's company back to the top. Tenzin's family airbends all around the island. Korra goes into the Avatar State to win the airball race with Jinora. The spirit creature attacks Korra and is twice her size. She goes into the Avatar State to fight it.
- Spirit creature clearly seems to be the villain.
- Mako becomes a cop in Book 2. He is ready to sling some great zingers.
- Pro-bending returns: Fire Ferrets vs. Rhino Lions in the animatics preview (Korra and Mako are not on the team).
- In Book 2, Bolin is finding himself and looking for his path.
- Andrea Romano (voice director) gets the cast to understand the animation by organizing scenes so the voice actors react and work together better.
- Kya (Aang's daughter) joins Book 2: [I believe this is her description] a waterbender with a hippie look. Kya has a special bond with Senna.
- Korra's father is a gentle guy, although they imagine him as huge.
- What do the creator's do? Mike & Bryan work with the writers, come up with stores for Book 3 and work with the creative/art teams. The amount of design is crazy.
- The panel's audience is live recorded for crowd scenes in Book 2.
- Andrea Romano leads the crowd into simulating a crowd at a pro-bending fight.
youtu.be/V2Ws3wOZFZs Season 2 Preview! Interview With Bolin Aka PJ Byrne!